Who we are
We are a young MedTech start-up based in Yes!Delft. We are looking for a student who is interested in investigating and modelling the hemodynamics of the microvascular system of the skin. The work will contribute in enhancing the biomedical applicability and quality of our novel Bio-sensor (patent pending). The sensor utilizes optical techniques (such as DLS) and has a configuration comparable to the well-known photoplethysmography (PPG) sensor, and is hence configured to measure cardiac (microcirculatory) flow in a non-invasive manner.
The student will be tasked with reading up in the relevant literature and then developing mathematical & computational models. The project covers multiple disciplines:
- The project is very computational, thus an affinity in numerical modelling is a strong plus (e.g., in python).
- Given the project’s biology-heavy nature, a proper understanding of biology/ physiology is desirable.
The multidisciplinary aspect makes it a challenging project, however, part of the required background knowledge can be learned during the first part of the internship.
In PPG technology an LED and a photodiode are used to measure changes in blood volume. These volume changes are the direct result of the heartbeat and the saturation level of the patient. Through these changes the heart rate of the patient can be measured. In our newly designed sensor, we optimize this process by replacing some of the hardware which enables the extraction of additional vascular biomarkers and the removal of motion artifacts usually plaguing PPG measurements thus improving the accuracy of heart-rate measurements. The approach is both novel and supported by research from the TU Delft.
What we offer
- A young and professional, yet fun, team
- Lots of freedom to implement your ideas
- Opportunity to be hired after the internship or after your study
- Internship compensation of gross EUR 400,- per month
What we ask
- A university Bsc/Msc degree in: Applied physics / Nanobiology / Biomedical Engineering / Computational Sciences or a related field.
- Experience in Data Processing languages such as python.
- Affinity in Python or other languages such as R, and/or imaging analysis software is a strong plus
- An interest in biophysics and healthcare is recommended.
- Proactive team player with good communication skills.
- Living near Delft or the possibility to move near Delft for the internship.
Send us an email via: email@example.com with a letter of motivation and your resume. Applications without a letter of motivation will not be taken in account.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible to have an introductory call.
After that we invite you for an interview in person to see if you’re just as tall in real life as you look on camera.